« The Nave»
Crystal and gilt bronze
Height: 80cm (31½ in.); Diam.: 40 cm (15¾ in.)
Magnificent vessel shaped chandelier in gilded bronze and engraved crystal, suspended by four articulated chains. A ceiling pendant decorated with prisms and a central chiselled crystal bell tops up the chandelier.
Between 1764 and 1860, with rare exceptions, the crystal Manufacture of Baccarat doesn’t sign its works. The first paper labels appear in 1860 and represent inside a circle, a carafe surrounded by a goblet and a cup above which is marked BACCARAT. From 1875, the brand BACCARAT in stick letters and in relief is present on some blown models and on the bronze parts of the mounts. It’s from 1936 that the carafe, surrounded by a goblet and a cup with BACCARAT marked above, appears systematically on the production.
The famous crystal manufacture of Baccarat, established in 18th Century, was awarded its first medal in 1823, during the « Exposition des Produits de l’Industrie » for the « brilliance and the sharpness of its crystal ». It became then the most renowned French crystal manufacture. Baccarat was undoubtedly the only French manufacture, that exhibited steadily and magnificently its products at the various Universal Exhibitions, especially between 1855 and 1867. In all reports one can read about the « perfection of the material and of its cut ».
Dany Sautot, Baccarat, une histoire, éd. Baccarat, 1993.
L’Art en France sous le Second Empire, Exposition Grand-Palais, Paris, 1979, p. 238-239.
Exposition Universelle de 1867, Rapport adressé à la commission d’encouragement, classe 16 et 17, p. 24 -25.