Pair of royal Worcester porcelain vases
Green printed crowned monogram mark of Worcester Porcelain Manufacture,
dated 1877 and Incised 576.
Height : 35 cm (13 2/3 in.) ; Width : 19 x 12 cm (7 1/2 x 4 3/4 in.)
Made in the Japonism taste, each vase of pear-form flanked by pierced whorling-cloud flange handles, gilt front and back with cranes flying above blue painted seaside landscapes, on a pierced rectangular base molded as bamboo.
On the retirement of William Henry Kerr (1823 – 1879) in 1862, The Worcester Royal Porcelain Company Limited was formed with Richard William Binns (1819 – 1900) and Edward Phillips (d.1881) as joint managing directors. Between 1851 and 1887 the Severn Street factory expanded from 70 to 700 employees. Royal Worcester kept pace with public demand for novelty in design with the development of a wide range of new materials and glazes, including glazed and unglazed Parian, earthenware, majolica and bone china. The firm concentrated on the production of figures and vases, introducing over 2500 new decorative items between 1862 and 1900. The Victorians believed that good designs from the past should be adapted and improved to create tasteful new designs. They favoured a mixture of period and foreign styles including Japanese, French Empire, Persian, Indian, Renaissance and Classical Greek.
The Aesthetic Movement – In the 1860’s, after 100 years of isolation the Japanese started to trade again with Europe. In 1872 His Excellency Sionii Tomomi Iwakura, Junior Prime Minister of Japan, visited Royal Worcester and saw Japanese style wares being made for display in Vienna the following year. Japanese bronzes, ivories and prints, purchased by R.W. Binns in Europe, inspired the Worcester craftsmen who did not slavishly copy, but adapted ideas for the English market.