The “Doves” Clock
Height : 50 cm (19 2/3 in.) ; Width : 22 cm (8 2/3 in.) ; Depth : 13 cm (5 in.)
Rare clock made of Fluorspar (usual term for fluorite), with beautiful light green tone. The rigorous lines of the clock make the effect to highlight this delicate shimmering stone. Beautiful chiselled and gilded bronze mounts made of two doves at the top, heads of satyrs on the sides and a tied ribbon and a garland of fruits framing the dial.
The Susse company, a worldwide renown foundry, began to cast pieces as soon as the first half of the 19th Century. Awarded medals several times at the famous Paris « Expositions des Produits de l’Industrie », Susse brothers, Victor (1806-1860) and Amédée (1808-1880), were known since 1841 as makers of « Art bronze pieces for clocks, candelabras, statuettes, etc. ». The most well-known French sculptors gave their sculpted models to Susse in order to cast them, such James Pradier (1790-1852) who signed in 1841 the oldest known publishing contract for bronzes between publisher and artist. After the death of the two brothers, Albert Susse took over the business from 1880 until 1922. He developed so far the company as to open a new luxurious shop in Paris, at n° 13 boulevard de la Madeleine.
Les bronzes du XIXe siècle, P. Kjellberg, Les Ed. de l’amateur, 1989, p° 665.