A “Fontainebleau Castle Hunts” decor
porcelain part dining set
Bearing the making-date mark “S. 46”,
red crowned mark for the château of Fontainebleau,
and blue mark with King Louis-Philippe’s and “Sèvres 1846”.
10 large luncheon plates (26,5 cm – 10 1/2 in.) – 10 luncheon plates (24,5 cm – 9 2/3 in.)
10 bread plates (16 cm – 6 1/3 in.) – 10 saucers – 10 bouillons
This magnificent porcelain part dinner service, after a model of Sèvres is composed of 20 plates, 10 bread plates and 10 bouillons with saucers ; executed in gilded edged tender paste and ornamented with Renaissance style polychrome borders of scrolling leaves, animals emblematic of the hunt (eagle, deer, wild boar and hunting dogs), gilt decoration and King Louis-Philippe’s monogram.
The “Fontainebleau Hunts” dining set was commissioned by King Louis-Philippe June 26, 1835 and the first pieces delivered between 1839 and 1841. Many pieces were commissioned subsequent years. The decor was designed by Jean-Charles-François Leloy (1774-1846) who took part in many prestigious commissions as the pair of “Clodion” vases for the Comte d’Artois, future King Charles X, and the snuff box of King Louis XVIII.
The Sèvres factory of soft-paste porcelain was created about 1738 at Vincennes by bankers and financiers with the aim of making true or “hard-paste” porcelain, like Meissen did. In 1753 Louis XV became a major shareholder and the manufactory was transferred to Sèvres, closer to the Versailles Palace. In 1759, Louis XV bought out the other shareholders and Sèvres became the exclusive property of the France Crown. From then, the manufactury mark was a symmetrically crossed Ls (the royal monogram) together with a date-letter indicating the year. The period between 1756 to 1779 represents the most successful and prosperous years for the factory. Louis XV ordered large services for diplomatic and royal presents. The factory producing with success both soft-paste and hard-paste porcelain also invented in these years the most famous ground colours : the dark blue (bleu lapis) about 1752, the turquoise blue (bleu céleste) in 1753, the applegreen in 1756, the famous pink in 1757, and the royal blue in 1763.
Gérard Barbe, “Le Service du Roi Louis-Philippe au Château de Fontainebleau”, Paris, 1988.
Tamara Préaud, “The Sevres Porcelain Manufactory, Alexandre Brongniard and the Triomph of Art and Industry, 1800-1847”, The Bard Graduate Center for Studies of Decorative Arts, New Haven, catalogue d’exposition, 1997.
Anne Perrin Khelissa, “La carrière de Jean-Charles-François Leloy, dessinateur à la Manufacture de Sèvres entre 1818 et 1844”, nov. 2010, dans Sèvres. Revue de la Société des Amis du musée national de céramique.
Anne Perrin Khelissa, “Pour Leloy, dessinateur d’ornements et de formes” déc. 2010, dans le catalogue des vases du musée national de céramique, Antoinette Hallé (dir.).