Pair of Napoleon III period lamps
Eglomized glass, Gilded bronze
Height : 77 cm (30,3 in.) ; Diameter : 16,5 cm (6,5 in.)
A pair of gilt-bronze mounted eglomized glass lamps. The vase body decorated on green moired background with gilded-brown wine leaves. The neck ornamented with gilt-bronze scrolled mounts, topped by a frosted glass globe. Pierced bronze base adorned with foliated flowers.
The technique of eglomized glass goes back to ancient times. It is to establish a thin sheet of gold or silver under the glass; the design is carried out at the dry point and maintained by a second layer or a glass plate. This process was used in Bohemia under the name “Zwischengoldglasser.”
In France, under King Louis XV, the Parisian picture framer Jean Glomy (circa 1711-1786) put again in vogue this process. He used this technique to frame his prints by surrounding them with a gold line, giving thus his name later to the process. He was so successful that the eglomized glass perpetuated his name.
In the nineteenth century, various designers combined with the gilding of engraving and paintings under glass. They realized ornaments to cover ceilings, walls and the show-windows of shops. True masterpieces have then enlivened the streets of Paris at the « Belle Epoque » as well as in all major cities in the world. They carry the signatures of Anselm, Benoist and sons, Panzani, Raybaud, Thivet, Dailland, Dewever and many others.