Pair of cherub candelabras
Gilded bronze, Griotte marble
Height : 76 cm (29,9 in.) ; Base : 17 x 17 cm (6,7 x 6,7 in.)
Large pair candelabras after a model by Clodion, representing two winged putti in gilded bronze, each holding a cornupia containing seven light-arms adorned with foliage. They rest on a square base with curved edges in Griotte marble, surmounted by a truncated and fluted column in gilded bronze adorned with a frieze of pearls, and decorated with a garland of flowers.
This pair of candelabras is inspired by the production of the sculptor Clodion, which were very successful in the 18th century and were published with variants.
Claude Michel, known as Clodion, is a French sculptor born in 1738, from the Adam dynasty. He joins in 1755 the workshop of his uncle Lambert Sigisbert Adam then becomes the student of Jean-Baptiste Pigalle. He wins in 1759 the sculpture grand prize and leaves to Rome in 1762 until 1771. In 1773, he is accepted by the Academy and receives his first order from the King in 1779 for a statue of Montesquieu. He is known for his mythological groups of dancers, nymphs or bathers in terracotta, and many of his artworks are exposed in museums such as the Louvre, the National Gallery of Art de Washington, or the museum of Fine Arts of Nancy.