(active in the second half of the 19th century)
A Louis XVI style “meuble d’appui”
Height : 101 cm (39 3/4 in.) ; Length : 139 cm (54 3/4 in.) ; Depth : 50 cm (19 2/3 in.)
A fine gilt-bronze mounted mahogany « meuble d’appui » attributed to A. Krieger. Topped with a « Brocatelle d’Espagne » marble, above a paneled frieze decorated with drapes and scrolls on « gun-barrel » plaques, concealing a large drawer opening with a hidden lock-system. With three foliate bordered panelled cupboards below and a gilded bronze flowery tied-ribbon medallion on the central door, showing a trophy with doves, after a model by Riesener. Raised on six ormolu tapering toupie feet.
Antoine Krieger (1804-1869) launched the cabinetmaking branch of Maison Krieger in the middle of the 19th century, before setting an important inner decoration department which provided much success and prestige to the company until 1945. The Krieger firm made all the sketches and designs in ancient as well as contemporary styles. A thousand workers were employed at n°74-76 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine in Paris, producing luxurious and standard furniture. The high quality making gave birth to oakwood or mahogany cabinets decorated with finely chosen veneers. The Krieger firm won a second-class medal at the 1851 Universal Exhibition of London and took part in many international exhibitions, such as Paris in 1855.