Royal porcelain manufacture of Berlin (KPM)
Pair of ormolu porcelain vases
2nd half of the 19th century
Height : 52,5 cm (20 2/3 in.) ; Width : 24 cm (9 1/2 in.) ; Depth : 19 cm (7 1/2 in.)
Magnificent pair of amphora shape vases, made of fine porcelain, richly decorated with painted panels on Prussian blue background, also called Berlin blue. The decorations that are painted on one side represent allegories of Day and Night, female figures draped in antique style and holding censers, inspired from the paintings made by Raphael in the early sixteenth century in the Borgia apartments in the Vatican Apostolic Palace.
On the other side, polychrome portraits of important personages of the Renaissance are framed with luxurious white and gold jewellery ornaments and angels overcoming. On the neck, elegant gray monochrome panels with putti and various musical instruments. They are completed with beautiful chiseled and gilded bronze mounts, such the foliate handles and the molded bases decorated with a torus of laurel leaves.
“The Fourth Hour of the Night” by Raphaël, engraving preserved at the British Museum in London (inv. 0710.2963).
“The Third Hour of the Day” by Raphaël, engraving preserved at the British Museum in London (inv. 0710.2956).
The Royal Porcelain Manufactory of Berlin (German: Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin, abbreviated KPM) was founded in 1763 by Frederick II of Prussia (1712-1786) to meet his desire to compete with factories of Dresden, Meissen and Sèvres in France. His troops occupied Meissen and Saxony during the Seven Years’ War, where famous manufactures had secrets which were highly coveted in Europe. The King of Prussia acquired the company to the brink of bankruptcy in 1763 and gave it therefore a new impetus.