(Active since 1845)
A pair of Greek revival vases
Height : 55 cm (21 2/3 in.) ; Width : 23 cm (9 in.) ; Depth : 21 cm (8 1/4 in.)
Vase of Greek style made in black marble and two patina bronze, presented at the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1867.
(Reproduced and commented in “The Art Journal Catalogue of the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1867”, London, 1867)
Henri Houdebine founded his company in 1845. He gained a great reputation in the making of clocks and decorative bronze pieces. His works, appreciated for their high artistic quality, took inspiration from various styles, including the neo-Greek style, very fashionable with artists in the 1860’s. His work was immediatedly successful with the public, and one can say as soon as 1855, that 50% of his production was exported. Installed in Paris, rue de la Perle in the 1850’s, Houdebine set up his workshops at number 64 rue de Turenne, during the period 1865-1880. He participated magnificently in several Universal Exhibitions, such those held in Paris in 1855, where he was awarded a 2nd class medal for his statuettes and display cups, in London in 1862, and again in Paris in 1867, 1878 and 1889, where he won a Gold medal for his all the works he exhibited. Houdebine took finally part in the Chicago Universal Exhibition of 1893, where he presented splendid cressets, clocks and some sculptures. In partnership with his father since 1890, his son took over the business at the turn of the century. The firm lasted until about 1910.
Les bronzes du XIXe siècle, P. Kjellberg, Les Ed. de l’amateur, 1989, p° 661.
The Art Journal Catalogue of the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1867, London, 1867.
« La petite sculpture au XIXe s. Les éditeurs », Bernard Metman, Archives de l’Art français, 1989, t. XXX, p° 198.
Catalogue officiel, Exposition Universelle de 1862, Londres, Section française, B.A.D., t. XI, Classe 31, p° 205.
Exposition Universelle de 1889 : Liste des récompenses attribuées aux exposants, Journal Officiel, Paris, 1889, Classe 25.