Bronze-Caster & Lighting Manufacturer
Pair of Lamps
Signed twice Gagneau on the bronze light fittings
Without Lampshade: Height: 57cm (22,4 in.) ; Diam.: 20cm (7,9 in.)
With Lampshade: Height: 62cm (24,4 in.) ; Diam.: 42cm (16,5 in.)
A fine pair of Chinese cloisonné enamel lamps with polychrome foliate patterns, mounted in gilded and patinated bronze mounts. The neck is enriched with openwork mounts, and Greek frieze, and Chinese inspired patterns. The whole rests on a base with four elephant’s heads and fitted for electricity.
Gagneau, a famous lighting manufacture, was established in Paris since 1800, and become reknown because of its improvement to the Carcel oil lamp. The innovation was shown for the first time at the National Industry Products Exhibition in Paris in 1819, and was patented the same year. In the 19th century, the firm moved from the 25, rue d’Enghien to the 115, rue Lafayette and specialized in all lighting material: lamps, chandeliers, wall-lights…, whose quality was famous : Gagneau received Premier Medals at the Crystal Palace Exhibition in London in 1851, and at the Paris Universal Exhibition in 1855. Celebrated bronzer and lighting manufacturer, Gagneau was member of the jury for the Artistic Bronzes Class at the Paris Universal Exhibition in 1889. The firm provided all lighting for the new French Embassy in Vienna in 1908.