France – circa 1880
marked M.s.L. et G.S.
Height: 50 cm (19,7 in.) ; Width: 58 cm (22,8) ; Depth: 40 cm (15,7 in.)
Important planter in earthenware of Montigny-sur-Loing decorated with painted flowers (so-called « à la barbotine ») inserted in a blanc and gilded bronze mount. The planter relies on a base with four elephants’ heads feet and is surmounted by a large bronze top with oriental patterns and handles.
Initials marked under the planter probably refer to Georges Schopin, brother of the founder of the Montigny-sur-Loing manufacture, and himself painter-decorator.
Louis-Eugène Schopin, a ceramic artist, first settled a furnace in Montigny-sur-Loing in September 1872, and specialized in flowers relief decoration (so-called « à la barbotine »). He was at the head of a great manufacture in 1877, and obtained a Silver Medal at the UNiversal Exhibition in 1878. Pieces from Montigny-sur-Loing Manufacture are marked with M.s.L., and often accompanied with the painter’s initials, like Georges Schopin, brother of Louis-Eugène. Then, in 1885, Schopin transfer the manufacture to one of his collaborator Person, then Jean Cachier (1887), and last Georges Delvaux (1890), who registered the marks in 1898.
Lesur and Tardy, Les Poteries et les faïences françaises, 2nd part, Paris, Tardy, 1959, p. 448-449