Charles X Period
Height : 149 cm (58 2/3 in.) ; Width : 97 cm (38 in.) ; Depth : 44 cm (17 1/3 in.)
Writing desk from the Charles X period, veneered with rosewood and sycamore, with a grey marble top. The sycamore marquetry, delicate and very original, distinguishes itself from the dark rosewood veneer with strong lines.
This marquetry presents numerous animals and decorative elements on two pannels and two friezes : swans, snakes, fishes, vases, flowers, ribbons and tassels, trophies. The composition is unified with stylized trims.
The upper part of this elegant piece of furniture opens with one top drawer and with a front-pannel revealing a series of six drawers, two secret compartments and one central compartment with a mirror background. The lower part opens with two leaves revealing a series of three drawers.
This rosewood and holy veneered bed stamped Lemarchand presents feet with a marquetry decor very similar to our ‘secrétaire’ (former collection of Nicole Gérard, specialist in furniture from the Charles X period).
The son of Charles-Joseph Lemarchand (1759-1826), who founded the Lemarchand cabinet-making dynasty around 1789, Louis-Edouard Lemarchand (1795-1872) came back to Paris in 1815 in order to help his father with the studio, after he studied architecture and spent two years in the military. They were successful and became Fournisseur Breveté du Garde-Meuble in 1817. After his wedding in 1828, Louis-Edouard settled his workshop at 17, rue des Tournelles. He joined forces in 1846 with André Lemoyne, who will be an official cabinet-maker under Napoleon III, and retired in 1852. Lemoyne father and son continued the activity until the firm was bought by Charles Jeanselme in 1893.
Louis-Edouard used the same stamp as his father, only suppressing his initial. At first, he cooperated with his father during the Restauration to produce furniture in the tradition of the Imperial style. Le Recueil de modèles d’ébénisterie composé pour la maison LEMARCHAND, ébéniste du Garde-Meuble, continuée par THEILLIER, undated and kept at the library of the Decorative Arts Museum, Paris, provides an overview of the production through original drawings. Active under Charles X then under Louis Philippe (creating pieces for Saint-Cloud, the Trianon, the Tuileries), he produced numerous pieces of furniture made of light wood and mahogany. A former soldier to the Emperor, he made the ebony coffin of Napoleon.
Les Ebénistes du XIXe siècle, Denise Ledoux-Lebard, Ed. de l’Amateur, 1984, pp.414-422.