Pair of vases
Signed Rudhardt and numbered 35
Height : 23 cm (9 in.) ; Diameter : 9 cm (3 1/2 in.)
A very fine pair of vases of slight curved form, made in fine blue-turquoise glazed earthenware. Ornated with beautiful pierced gilt-bronze mounts finely chiseled with arabesque motifs.
Charles Rudhardt born 1829 in Geneva, dead 1895 in Paris, was a great ceramist of the nineteenth century, as well as a talented painter. He settled in Paris in 1862, founded a workshop and presented at the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1867 some earthenware imitating the « old Rouen » and « Urbino » decors. He is also mentioned as a painter producing at the famous earthenware Loebnitz manufacture. Ch. Rudhardt then worked in Longwy, a famous place for fine decorative earthenware, where he not only produced prestigious pieces in collaboration with renowned artists such as the painter Eugene Carrière (1849-1906), but also executed his own creations. His signature is however relatively rare in Longwy, dating between 1882 and 1893, therefore a very brief period revealing his interesting work. Rudhardt achieved landscapes and portraits sometimes in addition of flowers in relief. As a creative and independent artist, some of his works bear only his own signature without the Longwy mark.