A Splendid pair of crystal Vases
Height : 60 cm (23.6 in.) ; Diameter : 24 cm (9 1/2 in.)
A rare pair of amphora-shaped covered vases made of faceted ovoid cut-crystal and adorned with a bronze mount. Each topped with a pierced cover surmounted by a finial; flanked by scrolled handles finishing in doe feet, and joining abundant blossoming floral garlands. Rests on a circular foliate-cast base .
Between 1764 and 1860, with rare exceptions, the crystal Manufacture of Baccarat doesn’t sign its works. The first paper labels appear in 1860 and represent inside a circle, a carafe surrounded by a goblet and a cup above which is marked BACCARAT. From 1875, the brand BACCARAT in stick letters and in relief is present on some blown models and on the bronze parts of the mounts. It’s from 1936 that the carafe, surrounded by a goblet and a cup with BACCARAT marked above, appears systematically on the production.
The famous crystal manufacture of Baccarat, dates back to the 18th Century, was awarded its first medal in 1823, during the « Exposition des Produits de l’Industrie » for the « brilliance and the sharpness of its crystal » and became then the most renowned French cristallerie. Baccarat was undoubtedly the only French manufacture, that exhibited steadily and magnificently its products at the various Universal Exhibitions, and especially between 1855 and 1867. In all reports one can read about the « perfection of the material and of its cut ».