Designers and Art object Editors
(Active from 1799 to 1885)
Rare Perfume Casket
Signed Alph. Giroux à Paris
Ebony, Mother-of-pearl, Copper, Bone, Porcelain, Gilded bronze
Casket – Height : 18,5 cm ;(7,2 in.) ; Length : 30 cm (11,8 in.) ; Depth : 15 cm (5,9 in.)
Base – Height : 15,5 cm (6,1 in.) ; Length : 34 cm ;(13,4 in.) ; Depth : 20 cm (7,8 in.)
Rare rectangular perfume casket with cut sides decorated with a beautiful marquetry on all sides in mother-of-pearl, brass, shell and bone on an ebony background, discovering three porcelain bottles with a blue background adorned with cupids and bouquets of flowers in cartouches, characteristic decorations of the work of Jacob Petit.
It is adorned on the top, in an oval, with a gouache painted on paper representing a Venetian banquet, and on the doors of two medallions depicting a gallant scene and a serenade, all beautifully framed in gilt bronze.
The perfume casket rests on a solid ebony scalloped base with carved decoration of foliage and bouquets of flowers.
Alphonse Giroux and Company, famous curiosity and luxury goods shop was situated in Paris, at No. 7 rue du Coq-Saint-Honoré and in business from the time of the Consulate until the end of the Second Empire. The company was founded by Francois-Simon-Alphonse and continued in 1838 by his two sons, Alphonse-Gustave (1810-1886) and André (1801-1879). The father became a close associate of the royal family and specialized in the manufacture of refined items for gifts. Kings Louis XVIII and then Charles X were both supplied with gifts for « The Children of France » by Giroux. Making progressively small furniture, they were mentioned for the first time in 1837 in the class « cabinet-makers » in the Paris Almanach. It was Alphonse-Gustave, however, who really expanded the activities of the firm as is testified by the report of the jury at the 1839 Products of Industry Exhibition awarding him another silver medal. Alphonse was also quick to participate in the famous and soon figured among the best in the luxury goods business. After buying a writing desk at the 1855 Universal Exhibition Napoleon IIIrd bought several other pieces of furniture, candelabras and clocks from Giroux for the Compiègne Palace. In 1857 Alphonse Giroux transferred his shop to No. 43, boulevard des Capucines where he continued to do business until 1867, when he ceded the company to Duvinage and Harinkouck.
Jacob Mordecai, known as Jacob Petit, is a French porcelain maker born in Paris in 1796. After learning drawing on his own, Jacob Petit entered the studio of painter Antoine-Jean Gros, disciple of Jacques-Louis David, as a student. Early attracted to porcelain, he joined the Manufacture de Sèvres in 1822. Passionate about decorative arts, he made several trips to France and Europe to deepen his knowledge and perfect his technique. Returning to France, he published in 1830-1831 a Recueil de décorations intérieures, comprenant tout ce qui a rapport à l’ameublement, comme vases, trépieds, candélabres, lustres, girandoles, lampes, chandeliers, cheminées, faux poëles, pendules, tables, secrétaires, commodes, canapés, lits, draperies de croisées, fauteuils, chaises, tabourets, miroirs, et tout ce qui a rapport à l’orfèvrerie, menuiserie, serrurerie, etc.. This book will be a great success and the author will constantly draw his future inspiration from it. He set up a porcelain factory in Fontainebleau around 1830, in which he employed 80 workers and a workshop at 26 rue de Bondy in Paris. Jacob Petit filed several manufacturing patents. From 1834, he participated in numerous exhibitions, where he collected various awards in recognition of his pioneering spirit combining daring and creativity. The report of the central jury of the exhibition of the products of the national industry of 1834 gives him an honorable mention and the jury of 1839 awards him a bronze medal.
If you want to be up-to-date with our new acquirings you can sign up to our newsletter.