KPM - Manufacture royale de porcelaine de Berlin

The Royal Porcelain Manufactory of Berlin (German: Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin, abbreviated KPM) was founded in 1763 by Frederick II of Prussia (1712-1786) to meet his desire to compete with factories of Dresden, Meissen and Sèvres in France. His troops occupied Meissen and Saxony during the Seven Years’ War, where famous manufactures had secrets which were highly coveted in Europe. The King of Prussia acquired the company to the brink of bankruptcy in 1763 and gave it therefore a new impetus.