Gaston Veunevot Leroux was born on Septembre 14th, 1854 in Paris. In 1874, he attended the Academy of Fine Arts inVienna, and received training as a sculptor by the director of the Academy, Carl Kundmann, until 1877. Admitted in the sculpture section of the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris in August 1881, he was the pupil of François Jouffroy. He taught from 1893, as a professor in the École des beaux-arts in Bordeaux. On the same date, he is the official sculptor of the city of Bordeaux and as such, carried out many orders including the statue of Tourny on the place of the same name, the tombs of the cardinals at the cathedral, monuments to the dead, a number important busts, especially those of the mayors of Bordeaux. Exhibitor at the Salon of French Artists, he obtained in 1882 an honorable mention, in 1883 an honorable mention and became a member, in 1885 a third class medal, and a bronze medal in 1889 and 1900 at the Universal Exhibitions. He was made chevalier of the Légion d’Honneur in 1908.